A classic cocktail with a serious twist, this California Cosmopolitan is an easy cocktail option with a bright citrus flavor and a twinkling look.
Serve this at your summer party as a refreshing, sweet, and zesty cocktail option or even as a holiday party to bring some brightness to the cold winter months.
If you’re looking for ideas on how to set up a party for the warmer months, how about hosting an outdoor luau or a Mexican fiesta.
If you’re looking for ideas for how to set up a party for the colder months, here are some elegant Christmas party themes.
Why You’re Going To Love This Cocktail
- Full of tasty and refreshing citrus flavors that will ring in the holidays with every sip.
- Lighter and healthier than Eggnog. As much as I love Eggnog, I need a fruit alternative to serve.
- Easy to whip up: this recipe can be made up in 5 minutes, guys.
- Make ahead of time: you can make this recipe earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge.
Ingredients and Supplies
- Pinnacle vodka. I love Pinnacle Vodka as my preferred vodka but go ahead and use whichever brand is your favorite.
- Triple sec. Works so beautifully with the citrus flavors.
- Orange juice. Go ahead and squeeze your own if you like or pick up your favorite store-bought OJ.
- Lemon juice. Balances like a dream with OJ.
- Sanding sugar. I love the look of this bright yellow sanding sugar.
- Martini glasses. You can, of course, use any other pretty cocktail glass; this one is the classic choice.
How To Make This Cocktail
Here’s how to whip up this super simple recipe:
Step 1: Prepare the glasses
Dampen the rim of your martini glass with a wet paper towel. Dip the rim in sanding sugar to give them some sparkle and a touch of sweetness.
I used yellow to complement the color of the cocktail.
Step 2: Make the cocktail
Combine vodka, triple sec, orange juice, and lemon juice in a pitcher. You can chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
And for my final garnish, I cut a round slice of orange, removed the juicy orange part, then thinned out the peel with a paring knife. I held it in a tight twist for a few seconds, and let go. It made the prettiest garnish!
What I love about this drink is the sweetness from the Triple Sec and the acidic punch from the orange and lemon juices. It’s a nicely balanced cocktail with fun boldness.
Tips and Substitutions
- For the ultimate cocktail, use freshly-juiced citrus.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon or orange or a combination of both.
- Adjust the sweetness with a splash of agave nectar or simple syrup if your juices are slightly sour.
- If you have stored your cocktail in the fridge, shake it quickly before serving it.
- You can use some fresh limes if you don’t have lemons. Fresh lime juice takes a bit of time to squeeze but it’s delicious!
Being grape country – California is best known for its American wines.
Vodka is the key alcohol in a classic Cosmo.
It’s a well-balanced drink in fact – sweet and sour taste with a touch of bitterness.
We recommend parmesan crisps and veggies with our and delicious lemon chive goat cheese dip, or these delicious herb gruyère gougères.
Other Cocktails You Might Like
- Sea Breeze Cocktail
- Summer Citrus Sangria
- Summer Blueberry Mojito
- Cranberry Orange Martini
- Champagne Mojitos
- Mint Orange Bitters Mocktail Recipe
Let me know if you use this recipe at your cocktail party. I’d love to hear what you think.
- 1 cup Pinnacle vodka
- ½ cup triple sec
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup sanding sugar for the rim of the glass
- Dampen the rim of your martini glass with a wet paper towel. Dip the rim in sanding sugar to give the glasses some sparkle and the drink a touch of sweetness. I used yellow to complement the color of the cocktail.
- Combine vodka, triple sec, orange juice, and lemon juice in a pitcher. You can chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.