This festive Mardi Gras Jello Recipe is super easy and fun to make and will be a real show-stopper at your Mardi Gras party this year. You can make these shots virgin for your kids, or with a touch of alcohol for adults.
Aside from the fact that you only need 5 simple ingredients to whip these up, they also taste absolutely delicious. I love the blend of fruity and tropical flavors, balanced out by a richy, creamy topping.
Get your party started with this Mardi Gras Jello Recipe and checkout our Mardi Gras Cupcake Toppers to help set the scene.
Featuring the traditional Mardi Gras colors; layers of “gold,” green, and purple jello are topped with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Create a sparkling spread by surrounding these Mardi Gras jello shots with our Mardi Gras Mask Cookies, our DIY Crackers, and labelling them with our Themed Tent Cards.
Checkout our Mardi Gras ideas and inspirations page to browse real Mardi Gras parties and get your free Mardi Gras printables.
Reasons To Love These Mardi Gras Jello Shots
- Easy to make and a fun activity for the whole family.
- Seriously tasty; they are as delicious as they look. Full of fruity flavor, these jello shots are a refreshing dessert option for your party.
- Colorful and festive, these shots add to the feel of your Mardi Gras setup. Serve them on our Mardi Gras Table Runner to extend the theme!
- Customizable; you can give these a more grown-up twist by adding in some alcohol or changing up the toppings if you like.
- You can also make them in advance and in large batches, ready to go.
- Party perfect; these aren’t your everyday dessert. They are showstoppers and ready to party, just like our Tulle Table Tutu Skirt!
Ingredients and Supplies
You only need a handful of ingredients, importantly Jell-O, some whipped cream, and 2 oz shot glasses to make this bright and cheery treat.
Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Grape Jell-O. To create the purple layer, gives a wonderful sweet grape flavor to the jello shots.
- Lime Jell-O. The lime flavor balances out the grape jello beautifully.
- Lemon Jell-O. Represents the famous Mardi Gras “gold” in this recipe.
- Whipped cream. You can use bottled whipped cream or whip up your own if you’d prefer.
- Sprinkles. Gold, green and purple of course! You could also opt for one color.
- 2 oz shot glasses. Checkout our customizable shot glasses.
How To Make Mardi Gras Jello Shots
Here are the simple instructions to whipping up your jello shots:
Step 1: Create the first layer
Firstly, start with your yellow lemon jello, heat ¾ cup of cold water in a small bowl, in the microwave for about 4 minutes, until it boils. Add ice cubes to the boiling water until the liquid reaches 1 ¼ cup.
Next, stir the mixture for a minute and then remove any ice cubes that haven’t melted.
Lastly, pour in the lemon jello and fill each shot glass a third of the way up. Allow the jello to set in the fridge.
Step 2: Create the second and third layers
Repeat the same process you did for the yellow layer, with the lime jello to create the green layer.
Once the green later has set and you have a lovely neon duo, it’s time to set the final layer by mixing the grape jello to create the purple layer.
It should take you about 90 minutes to layer all three colors.
Step 3: Top with cream and sprinkles
Finally, top your jello shot cups with whipped cream and sprinkles.
Tips and Substitutions
- You can choose to use canned whipped cream or you can whisk up a batch of homemade whipped cream. If you make your own, keep in mind it will be less stable than canned whipped cream.
- Add in a little vodka or Malibu rum for a grown-up version of these mardi gras shots.
- Pour a thin layer of condensed milk onto the grape jello layer before you top this jello shot recipe with whipped cream. This will deepen the sweetness of these festive treats.
- Switch up the layers for fun.
- Lay your mardi gras jello shots out as part of a greater Fat Tuesday setup to really land theme.
- If you make your own whipped cream, add a little vanilla extract to it for a dreamy addition.
The typical ratio is 1:1 but you can lower the amount of alcohol and up the water to create a less balanced ratio, if you prefer.
Yes, mixing in too much alcohol can affect the gelatin’s ability to set in the recipe.
You can mix equal quantities of blue and red jello to make purple.
Yes you can! Checkout this fun jello color mixing chart to help you out.
For more inspiration take a look at all the amazing Mardi Gras parties added to our site and all our free Mardi Gras party printables!
Other Mardi Gras Posts You Will Love
- Real Mardi Gras Parties
- Free Mardi Gras party printables
- Mardi Gras Cupcake Toppers
- Customizable Shot Glasses
- Mardi Gras Table Runner
Wrapping It Up
We hope you have a blast planning and putting together your magical Mardi Gras party. Be sure to checkout out our site and themes for all your other parties too.
Give this Mardi Gras Jello Recipe a try and let us know how it turned out!
- 1 Microwave
- 30 shot glasses
- 1 3 oz Lemon Jell-O pack
- 1 3 oz Lime Jell-O pack
- 1 3 oz Grape Jell-O pack
- 1 can Whipped Cream
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Firstly, start with your yellow lemon jello, heat ¾ cup of cold water in a small bowl, in the microwave for about 4 minutes, until it boils. Add ice cubes to the boiling water until the liquid reaches 1 ¼ cup.Next, stir the mixture for a minute and then remove any ice cubes that haven’t melted.Lastly, pour in the lemon jello and fill each shot glass a third of the way up. Allow the jello to set in the fridge
- Repeat the same process you did for the yellow layer, with the lime jello to create the green layer.Once the green later has set and you have a lovely neon duo, it’s time to set the final layer by mixing the grape jello to create the purple layer.It should take you about 90 minutes to layer all three colors.
- Finally, top your jello shot cups with whipped cream and sprinkles.
- Ensure each jello layer is completely set before pouring on the next layer.
- Make sure the jello powder has entirely dissolved into the water before pouring them into their shot glasses.
- If adding in alcohol, ensure the ratio is 1:1 or lower (lower alcohol to water).
- Serve these shots straight from the fridge; they taste best when chilled.
This post may contain affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission. We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates.