Bake a batch of these zesty and creamy Lime Cupcakes for your Cinco de Mayo celebration. They are tangy, bright, and ready to party!
These cupcakes start with a super simple cake batter, get baked up, and are topped with a twirl of tart lime frosting that your guests will love.
Whether you’re planning a big party or just a little get-together, consider putting a bright and festive table together with Mexican party touches loaded with treats – this Summer Springs Fiesta table shouts PARTY to me!
We’ve assembled these cute FREE Cinco de Mayo Party Printables for your event, and free taco bar printables, so don’t forget to download them.
Oh, and if you’re throwing a Fiesta-themed birthday, check out these adorable welcome signs for your table or entrance.
I actually can’t set up a Cinco de Mayo or Fiesta-themed party without putting up these gorgeous paper flowers...they just make the whole scene perfect!
And if you need a little more kick to your party, think about serving these fun skinny margarita jello shots!
Back to the coconut lime cupcakes…
Why You’ll Love These Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- The flavor combination: Coconut and lime are a perfect match. The sweetness of the coconut pairs well with the tartness of the lime, creating a delicious balance of flavors.
- The texture: Coconut adds a unique texture to cupcakes, making them soft and fluffy with a slightly chewy bite. Combining the moist cake and the crispy coconut flakes on top is simply irresistible.
- They’re refreshing: The lime flavor in the cupcakes makes them a perfect dessert for warm weather. They’re light and refreshing and make you feel like you’re on a tropical island!
- They’re versatile: Although perfect for Cinco de Mayo – these coconut lime cupcakes can be enjoyed for any occasion, from a casual backyard barbecue to an elegant dinner party. They’re also great for birthdays, weddings, and other special events.
- They’re easy to make: With a few simple ingredients and only a few steps – you’ll have a bright ad breezy batch of delicious cupcakes.
Ingredients And Supplies
- Butter: Softened butter is easier to mix with other ingredients, so ensure it’s at room temperature before starting the recipe.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is used in this recipe to add sweetness to the cupcakes. If you prefer, you can use a combination of granulated and brown sugar for a deeper flavor.
- Eggs: Eggs are a crucial ingredient in baking as they provide the cupcakes structure, moisture, and richness. Make sure they’re at room temperature before using them in the recipe.
- Coconut Extract: Coconut extract adds a lovely coconut flavor to the cupcakes. Make sure to use pure coconut extract rather than imitation for the best flavor.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used in this recipe to provide structure to the cupcakes. If you want a lighter texture, you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour with cake flour.
- Baking Powder: The leavening agent that helps the cupcakes rise. Make sure it’s fresh and hasn’t expired.
- Milk: Milk is used to add moisture to the cupcakes. You can use any type of milk you prefer, including whole milk, skim milk, or almond milk.
- Shredded Coconut: Adds texture and flavor to the cupcakes. You can use sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut, depending on your preference. Toasting the shredded coconut beforehand can enhance its flavor and texture.
- Lime: use fresh lime for the zest and juice – it makes the whole experience pop with taste.
How To Make Coconut Lime Cupcakes
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients
Firstly, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Step 2: Beat the butter, sugar, and eggs.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then add the coconut extract and mix well.
Step 3: Alternate the flour and milk
Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.
Add half of the milk and mix well.
Add another third of the flour, mix, and then add the remaining milk.
Add the remaining flour and continue beating until well mixed.
Step 4: Add the coconut
Step 5: Bake the cupcakes
Using a measuring cup, pour the batter into a lined or greased cupcake pan.
Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool before icing.
Step 6: Make the lime icing
Beat the butter and a 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.
Add the vanilla, lime juice, and milk and continue beating.
Continue to add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Beat in lime zest.
Step 7: Ice the cupcakes and decorate
Once cooled, top the cupcakes with Lime Icing. Top with gold sprinkles and additional lime zest, if desired.
Tips And Substitutions
- Use fresh ingredients: Make sure to use fresh lime juice and zest for the best flavor. Also, check the expiration dates of your baking powder and flour to ensure they’re still fresh.
- Room temperature ingredients: Allow your butter and eggs to come to room temperature before using them in the recipe. This will make it easier to mix the ingredients and ensure even baking.
- Toasted coconut: Toasting the shredded coconut before using it as a topping can enhance its flavor and texture. To do this, spread the coconut evenly on a baking sheet and toast in the oven at 350°F for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Gluten-free flour: If you need to make the cupcakes gluten-free, you can substitute all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend.
- Lime extract: If you don’t have fresh limes, you can use lime extract instead. Use 1 teaspoon of lime extract in place of the lime juice and zest.
- Different toppings: If you’re not a fan of shredded coconut, you can top the cupcakes with lime zest, fresh berries, or whipped cream instead.
Cupcakes are best eaten within 4 days so yes, if they are stored in an airtight container, they will stay fresh for 3 days.
Vanilla, lemon, chocolate, strawberry and red velvet.
A chocolate cupcake with a plain white frosting with the first cupcake flavor combination.
Mexican wedding cake cookies, churros, dessert nachos, and frozen Margarita pie are popular desserts at Cinco de Mayo.
Great food ideas include: taco, quesadillas, queso fundido, salsa and chips, enchiladas, margaritas, churros and lime margarita cookies.
Other Cinco De Mayo Posts You’ll Love
- Free Cinco de Mayo Party Printables
- Lime Margarita Cookies
- Mexican Queso Fundido Recipe
- Free Taco Bar Printables
- Cinco de Mayo Fiesta
- Skinny Margarita Lime Jello Shots
There are just so many amazing ideas and supplies to choose from; scroll through this Cinco de Mayo Inspiration post to get your juices flowing.
- 1 standing mixer
- 2 cupcakes trays
- ½ Cup Butter softened
- 1 ¼ Cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Coconut Extract
- 1 ¼ Cups Flour
- 1 ¾ Teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ¾ Cup Coconut Shredded
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tbsp milk
- ½ tbsp fresh lime zest
- Firstly, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.Beat in the eggs one at a time, and then add the coconut extract and mix well.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until incorporated.Add half of the milk and mix well.Mix another third of the flour, and then add the remaining milk.Add the remaining flour and continue beating until well combined.
- Add the coconut
- Pour the batter into a lined or greased cupcake pan using a measuring cup.Bake for 16-18 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool before icing.
Make the icing
- Beat the butter and a 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.Add the vanilla, lime juice, and milk and continue beating.Continue to add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Beat in lime zest.
- Once cooled, top the cupcakes with Lime Icing. Top with gold sprinkles and additional lime zest, if desired
- Ensure the ingredients are at room temperature so they incorporate easily.
- Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Ice the cupcakes once they have cooled completely.
- Decorate with sparkling sprinkles (edible of course).
Check out these amazing real Cinco de Mayo celebrations to give you tons of inspiration!
This post may contain affiliate links that won’t change your price but will share some commission. We are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates.